Thursday 8 September 2011

A thing of beauty...

And this time it's not a bead...


A few days ago a friend of mine mentioned on Facebook that she was thinking of treating herself to this book by Artist, Printmaker and Engraver Angie Lewin so I took a quick look... and I was bowled over by the artists work. I had not come across Angie Lewin before, though heaven knows why as her work is so up my street - stunning botanical prints in glorious saturated, but slightly muted colours. Anyway I ordered the book and it arrived this morning - OMG is it  thing of beauty! Fabulously presented and of a very high quality, I just felt I had to share.


In the preface to the book the Artist says that she is drawn to "insignificant plants" usually considered to be weeds, and concentrates on their unique characteristics rather than realistic representation and scale.


The impact of her subjects' environment on their ability to thrive however barren or desolate is also a major influence on her work. I just love the love the structural, almost architectural framework within her prints.


Now, I'm no art critic and my views are completely subjective but I just wanted to share a find that got me excited. It might be that I'm the last one in the know and you are all fully clued up on Angie Lewin already. Either way, I know this book will be something I pick up frequently just to revel in the contents but I'm also pretty sure It will become a source of reference and inspiration for my jewellery designs - for colour, for shape, for texture and for fun.

Oh, and can I just say a big thank you to Kaz Baildon for introducing me to this great artist - I'm so pleased you posted that link on Facebook.


You can see more of the book's content at Amazon co.uk and .com - enjoy!

Lesley







7 comments:

  1. Lovely! I'm especially drawn to the flower prints. The colors are fresh and lively. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely work! Her use of color and line is great! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the prints they remind me of prints from the 50's. My Mom had a cook book that had similar style pictures in it I was always drawn to those pictures.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something about that third photo that reminds me of my grandmother, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is that is reminding me of her. I must have a memory hidden in there somewhere... I enjoyed this post!
    I found you via Etsy Team. Going to follow you!

    Best wishes,

    Miranda

    _____________________________________________
    Art & Craft Blog: randamart.blogspot.com
    My Cancer Battle: ancoraimparo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something quite retro about her design isn't there...I seem to recall curtains and a tablecloth from my childhood that had similar designs.
    Welcome Miranda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! I have this book in my much loved pile! I love her use of line - marvellous for inspiring my etching muscle. Now, if I could just learn to enamel I could perhaps emulate her use of colour too!

    Good shout out my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought this book as a Christmas present for my mum....I must say it was very hard to part with it, I love Angie Lewin's work.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy - join in with the gossip...